Sunday, March 29, 2009

Music 101: Intro

Today I addressed the hardest subject: music. A friend is very knowledgeable and I wanted the simplest beginning point. I do mean, the simplest, most rudimentary introduction. Say, the top five bands I should familiarize myself with.

The results were astonishing! We headed to a computer and he used YouTube to show me videos, the kind of videos most of my generation grew up watching on MTV. But the best part? Several dear friends, all of whom know my wretched illiteracy, joined in.

We ended up polling people on their favorite bands and discussing the 90's pop I should have listened to in high school (most of which was actually vaguely familiar due to crazy high school skits). Then I got some current pop and a variety of rock categories that will soon get confused. Seriously, why can every category just end with "rock"? Indie rock, alternative rock, classic rock . . .

The verdict: I need to start with 3 of the most popular bands:
  1. U2
  2. Coldplay
  3. Beatles
Today's song is . . .
U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"




Opinion: I like it. I'm sure I've heard it before, but now I've listened five times and read the lyrics. I might actually recognize it in the future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

maybe try U2's "one" next, I like that song =)

Jennifer said...

I did see that as one of their big ones. I'll probably listen to it soon, just so many to try.

Edward Lee said...

Most of U2's hits sound much better live than on record.

If you have two hours to kill, consider borrowing and watching the U2 Go Home DVD (live in Ireland, 2001).

If you have 15 minutes to kill, just pop over to YouTube and watch their Super Bowl 36 performance.