Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No Favorites

I hate it when people ask me to pick a favorite. I mean, seriously, one single favorite out of the hundreds that I know? Favorite color? Well, what are we talking about here? Color for a shirt? Then it might be teal to match my eyes. But never for a car! It's all about context.

We don't ask people to pick their favorite among their children: your precocious 6-year old daughter, or the athletic and popular 10-year old son? What about that sulky teen you rarely see? Pick one! Go on, tell me your favorite! The more you know something / someone, the harder it is to choose.

BUT . . . I can usually decide what I don't like. That was a major discovery during our music discussion last Sunday. All the music that I remember from when I was young, the music that I hated . . . Grunge!

I didn't like grunge. But decided to pick one for today's song:

Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit"



This was their first big hit in 1991. They only lasted a few years until Kurt Cobain killed himself . . . depressing.

Opinion: I vaguely remember this, especially the annoying repetition of "Hello". On the other hand, reading the lyrics, it's not that bad. Maybe that's just cuz I control the volume.

No comments: