Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Norse Myth, Nazis, and Scientology

On the plane over to Thailand recently, I watched Valkyrie (film, 2008).

First, "valkyrie" was a vaguely familiar word, so I looked it up. Norse mythology depicted warrior-angel-like women who gathered the souls of the worthy fallen, took them to heaven, and served them. This is the origin of the word.

The movie, based on a true story, is about a Nazi plot to assassinate Hilter in 1944. "Valkyrie" was the code name for the operation. It highlights sincere anti-Hitler sentiment during WWII German, which is often neglected in modern portrayals focusing on the holocaust.

Tom Cruise played the lead, a Colonel von Stauffenburg. Cruise's Scientology involvement created strong opposition to the film in Germany, where Scientology is considered a dangerous cult.

Overall, I thought the film was good. Having my own scale, I'd rate it around a 4 out off 5. This means it's definitely worth watching. It made me stop and think, put me in a reflective mood, but was ultimately not much different from other such movies. I'll probably never see it again and will forget it within a few weeks. I particularly liked the conclusion: you knew where it was headed, but the artistry with which they portrayed it was compelling.


No comments: