Sunday, April 19, 2009

Box of Evil

Ted mentioned Pandora in the comments awhile back. So, I've actually had a Pandora account for more than 3 years; I figured it would help me learn music.

Problem is, just like the radio, I had no idea how to "seed" a station, no starting point. Also, the Music Genome project focuses on the sound of music, choosing songs that sound similar to the seed song. But I don't get the connection between sounds, either I like the words or I don't... the sound doesn't make much difference to me except to accent the lyrics.

I haven't opened my Pandora account in more than 2 years: Wow! It's changed!! It's sleek, professional, and actually has ads now (I remember wondering why it didn't before).

Awesome thing: Pandora now has info on the songs playing. So, it's easy to find out about the artist or song. So, now that I have starting points, I might use Pandora to pick up leads in new directions. Today's song comes from one of my original Pandora channels (based on the Eagles).

Today's song is . . .
Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down (1989)



I think I like him. It helps if I respect the musician: His band has been together for more than 30 years, he takes a strong stand on artists' rights, etc. This song was played at a benefit for 9/11 victims.

No comments: