Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stepping Outside Rock / Pop

I'm using this blog to follow up on random references I hear, especially about music. I want to explore different genres, but when you know nothing, you got nowhere to start.

I heard a song that made me think "Ella Fitzgerald". I have absolutely no recollection about the song, and no idea why I thought it might be her. But I decided to look her up anyway.

Turns out, she started recording about the time my grandmother was born and died in 1996. She recorded for 59 years. That's an impressive career. She sings blues and has an amazing voice. This site plays a nice sampling of song clips (it's selling a "best of" CD).

Today's song is . . .
Ella Fitzgerald's Blue Moon



So, as I was checking YouTube, the songs started to spark a memory. I think my favorite gelateria in Busan plays Ella a lot; they have an awesome atmosphere. I'll have to check it out this summer and see if I'm right.

No comments: