Friday, April 10, 2009

What's a Rolling Stone?

A rolling stone gathers no moss. It remains uncluttered, polished, and free. That's what I always thought. In my world view, this old proverb was advice to keep on moving. Until I met Bob Dylan,
How does it feel
How does it feel
To be without a home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone?
A story of a girl from a wealthy family who loses everything due to a relationship and ends up on the street. The song asks the girl how she feels, having lost everything. But it also asks the listener. I can just imagine some 60's hippie listening, feeling uprooted and tumbling out of control. Not just the 60's hippie . . .

It asks me. In my own personal life, this is the very question I've been dealing with. I'm a rolling stone; I refuse to stop for fear of losing myself in the obscuring growth of moss. I'm tumbling wildly down hill, which shall end and I finally come to a rest. Then would I be condemned to bear out the eternity of my days in one place, vanishing in the thicket of grass and moss, serving as shelter to the creatures and anchor to the trees.

So how does it feel to be a rolling stone? Free. Wild. Filled with possibility.

Today's song is . . .
Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone



I don't want to be anything else. So why do I feel the slope lessening?

No comments: