Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Music as Poetry

I always say lyrics make the song for me. I was an English major who specialized in poetry. Shock of the day...

The most poetic form of music is rap.

I decided to figure out the difference between rap and hip hop, but instead discovered the beauty of rap. Rap is somewhere between poetry, spoken word, and singing.

Reading the wikipedia article, it talked about rhyme schemes, diction, double entendres, and prosody. Light bulbs going off! Rap is quite an art form, one which I can appreciate. So, I decided to try my first rap song.

Today's song is . . .
Tupac's
Keep Ya Head Up


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tupac is a good one to start with, prolific and a number of his lyrics and poems - that went unrecorded was compiled in a book a while back... marketed differently, he might have been a "poet", unknown and unrecognized....

-gus