Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Sign of the Times

While trying to figure out this radio thing, I stumbled on the country station. Now, I kinda like country. There's usually a story and it's easy to follow, much better for new music.

One song got me thinking: Shuttin Detroit Down.

Lyrics:
And while their living up on Wall Street
In that New York City town
Here in the real world they're
Shutting Detroit down
What struck me was that it was relevant to today. This song only makes sense in view of the economic crisis, the bailouts, the Big Three, and the feelings people have towards it all. The lyrics capture the atmosphere of the times.

It may be a decent musically or not, but it'll be catchy when people think, "Yeah, that's it! They think they're so great up there in NYC, but that ain't the real world. No, in real life you gotta deal with your mistakes. Take it like a man." Popular songs are about putting into words what people really want to say.

John Rich's Shuttin' Detroit Down
(Song starts about :55)



Now I get the phrase, "the music of a generation". It's not the music that a generation produced, it's the music that embodies a generation.

2 comments:

Edward Lee said...

Hmm. I forsee a lot of Bob Dylan, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Bruce Springsteen albums in your future.

Jennifer said...

Wow - astute! Others have suggested Bob Dylan. I'll have to follow up on those others. I'm sure you'll see my thoughts about them in the near future.