Thursday, April 2, 2009

Suspension of Disbelief

I am terrible at suspending disbelief. That's what you sometimes need to enjoy a movie or TV show. It's the ability to enter the universe of the show and accept things that cannot possibly be true. An easy example of that is science fiction: you accept that space ships, aliens, or amazing technology is real. You suspend your sense of reality and accept the world created for you.

It helps when the universe of the show is consistent. There needs to be a reconciling between the things they say and do in that universe. Back to the example, if we hear that a space ship can travel at the speed of light, it better not take 10 mins, or even 10 days, to travel between stars.

Personally, I think it's easier to do this with action or science fiction. But when it comes to horror / thrillers, I don't enter their universe so easily. Perhaps it's a self-defense mechanism? Whatever the reason, it means I can enjoy a thriller best when other people are scared.

So, in my very limited experience, I'd have to say there's one current TV show that requires this more than most:

Today's TV is . . .
Lost



I'm highly amused by this narrator. I've seen enough to get the cultural references (most of seasons 1-3). I don't really care how it all ends.

No comments: